Nanotechnology W17

Discussion in 'Denied' started by 17, Mar 4, 2020.

1. 17

17 The Shining Wife Silver Donator

Name: W17 (Widmo-17)
    Description: An implant attached near appendix that stores and dispenses small aegisalt nanocells which cover the user's body and cloak them.

Abilities: Actively cloaks the user (Cloaking mode) or makes (Chameleon mode) reducing their visibility to the naked eye when standing still and to some point when moving.
    Conditional abilities (optional): Detailed/dark environments help. Being made of aegisalt, the nanocells partially cloak the user's heat signature (only in Cloaking mode).

Limitations: Long activation times when compared to other means of cloaking (especially Chameleon mode, which is whopping 24 seconds). The device itself is susceptible to EMPs. Moderate EMPs will destroy the deployed nanodrones (immediately uncloaking the user) and temporarily disable the implant. Stronger EMPs will disable the device for good. It's obviously useless in direct combat. Countered by paint. Can be seen in other parts of the spectrum easily (partially toned down in FLIR).
    Conditional limitations (optional): The cloaking is not perfect (a 'ghostly' image of the user can be seen), especially against very bright and smooth backgrounds (Cloaking mode). The ripples (latency) will occur when moving at high speeds in Cloaking mode. In Chameleon mode any movement (except the obvious unavoidable slight movement) will make the user look like they were walking straight out of a painting. So you might want to stay still. Temperatures above 600°C completely destroy the nanocells. Spraying the person using Cloaking mode with paint will permanently (or until the drones are cleaned) turn them into a 'colored lens' (The receptors give off light. Imagine spraying a flashlight with paint and then turning it on) - and from both sides of the body, as the receiving receptors see colored light. Any small objects that stick to the user will be quickly cloaked, although anything that drips/falls off of them will become instantly visible. This calibration takes proportionally more time in Chameleon mode. A possible counter may be nanocells that force themselves on top of the native cloaking nanocells and interrupt the cloaking process. You can also simply sprinkle them with water and watch where it drips. Footprints can be easily seen in ground like sand.

How does it work: Upon activation the user's surface is layered with aegisalt nanocells - receptors (which consist of input and output), which send the information about the light to the device, which then sends the computed orders to the target receptor, finally cloaking the user. Depending on the mode, more kinds of nanocells may be used.

It has two modes:
    Cloaking - 6 seconds after activation the user becomes cloaked, appearing 'transparent'. But not invisible. Some movement is possible without severe ripples, at least against dim/noisy backgrounds. The user is easy to spot in bright places or close up. The power supply allows for approximately 17 minutes of continuous cloaking. Uses 8μm nanobots.
    Chameleon - Uses additional 2 different kinds of nanocells (3 in total, over 3 layers). Upon activation, over the course of 12 seconds the user is coated in the receptor nanocells (the same used in Cloaking mode that collect the information) and 2 cloaking layers. The receptors collect the 'light' and then the additional 2 layers shift on top of the receptors, cloaking the user over the next 12 seconds. The topmost layer consists of nanocells coated in crystalline guanine, forming a dynamic lattice while the layer under it contains nanocells with pigments. Spacing between the nanocrystals can be manipulated, which in turn affects which wavelengths of light are reflected and which are absorbed. All this allows the user to become completely invisible to naked eye, granted they stay still. Any change requires the receptors to shift on top of the layer structure, get new data, then come back and allow the 'skin' to adapt, which takes 6 seconds. Lack of 'output' nanocells (replaced with pigments) significantly lowers the power usage. Assuming the user can afford not to move for so long, they can stay cloaked for 170 hours. Uses 8μm, 9μm and 12μm nanobots.

There is an additional layer of drones over the eyes - which sends light into user's eyes. By default it takes data from receptors just above it, so the person using is sees the world as is through their own eyes - but it can be reprogrammed to load data from any other set of receptors on the body - for example on the back of the head.
    The drones do not obstruct the air flow and allow the user to breathe.

Flavor text: Fascinated by an alien birds of certain species, which could blend into the landscape while resting, Misery decided to create a device which would use similar techniques, but mechanical. She used it mainly for observing wildlife and hunting. It is controlled by tapping specific places in her body with a finger. (I'd rather keep this secret if possible. I can elaborate on it more in DMs if needed). There are 2 places like that in her body and one is also used as the outlet for the nanodrones. They are directed into the device through a synthetic 'vein' that's connected to a port, where they are cleaned and sorted. The device is charged by the nanodrones themselves. One of these spots is her left eye, the other is her belly button.

Referenced Technologies (Optional): Previous app
    Attainability: [Open]
    Tags: [Civilian]
    Category: Nanotechnology

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. zecon125

zecon125 Lizzer Staff Member Moderator Bronze Donator

After discussion in DMs, I'm gonna slap this down with an initial pass once edited.

Set down a comment here when you've made all the necessary edits to the post.

3. 17

Changes have been made.

4. Skid

Skid God Incarnate Staff Member Community Monitor Diamond Donator

Hey 17, sorry for the slight delay. First things first, I don't know how I missed this last time but it seemed that you slightly messed up the application format. Please edit your app to match the format found here.

5. 17

All I've done was shifting the 'How does it work' paragraph up between 'Description' and 'Abilities'. I believe the app is easier to understand that way as it contains context for descriptions below it.

6. Skid

Please edit it to match the format.

7. 17

Done.

8. Skid

Thank you for fixing it 17. Moving on, things for the most part look better than last time but I do still have a few issues. I'd like for you to edit the limitations so that even a moderate EMP will destroy the nanocells, as it is with other nanomachines in GC, while temporarily disabling the implant.

9. 17

Done.

10. Skid

Thank you. Can I ask what you mean by "Device affected by EMP will 'freeze' the nanocells in place for several minutes."

11. 17

If the device itself is affected by EMP, the nanobots will not simply stop 'glowing'. They are somewhat independent and will remain in place, doing what they were doing at the time of EMP hitting the device. Therefore if the user stays still, they will remain cloaked, but the cloaking will not 'update'.

12. Skid

Alright. I'd like for you to remove this, so that the user immediately uncloaks if they are hit by an EMP since the nanocells are all destroyed.

13. 17

Done.

14. Skid

Alright. After reading the app over one final time, I only have two concerns. First, you mention that the nanodrones give off light. Does that mean if someone were to hide in darkness while cloaked they would appear to glow slightly? And secondly, I would like for you to specify what the trigger spot is.

15. 17

No. They do not. They 'glow' as much as the surrounding does. If it gets darker, the nanodrones put out less light.
    I am sending you the information about the spots via PMs.

16. Skid

I'd like you to edit in the information you sent me, since there's no reason for it to be kept hidden. After having thought on this more, I do have a few other questions. Since the nanomachines are presumably completely covering the user, how do they see or breath? Are there eye and nose holes? If so, please edit that in.

17. 17

Done.

18. Skid

After some consideration, I am giving this a rejection. While I was willing to work with you to make this passable, implying that you had edited in what I had suggested only to sneak something completely different in is inexcusable.

19. 17

I have not 'sneaked something completely different in'.
    The edit is directly related to all your points and I don't see anything wrong with it. If there's something that was not right, you should've told me. I could've always edited it. A rejection makes no sense.
    As I said - I have used the cloaking device implant for years and it's a very important part of my character.
    This is why I'd like to ask the next grader to be a bit more considerate, please.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  20. Khaos

Khaos Purple Man Impervium Donator

When skid had requested an explanation as to how someone sees and breathes with this nanomachine technology, which already given its ease of use should be less practical than stealth cloaks, is that you gave it an extended set of abilities. Even claytronics, which are a step down from cloaking and more on mimicry of surfaces, doesn't allow you to breathe through it without some sort of opening. Furthermore, you're suggesting that tiny robots can take information from light and pattern it together to display back to the wearer on top of the cloaking it already evidently provides. These are additional abilities that don't need to be there, and bypass the opening flaw that most other stealth technologies have.
    We already have a number of different stealth technologies in GC.
    I'm seconding the rejection and sending this to the failed technologies section. I don't want to see any more stealth nanotechnology apps.