Melee Armaments Whip Swords

Discussion in 'Denied' started by PrivateNomad, Mar 23, 2019.

1. PrivateNomad

PrivateNomad There goes my hero, watch him as he goes Staff Member Technician Gold Donator Event Builder

Name: Whip Swords
    Description:
    [​IMG]

Whip Swords are swords modified with the capability to extend and segment into a bladed whip. Any type of sword can be modified to a whip sword, and given space-age technology, still maintains a relatively light weight.

Abilities:
    • Can extend into a bladed whip and retract into a sword. Whips boast excellent range and are difficult to defense against.
    • Normal blades, plasma blades, vibroblades, and more can be turned into whip swords.
    • Most contain electromagnetic segments that can be activated to attach to itself when wrapped around objects, allowing the whip to grapple things given proper aim and skill.
    Limitations:
    • Very difficult to use, requiring immense training. Bladed whips can be incredibly dangerous to the user and their surroundings if used improperly. A person skilled in only blades cannot properly use a whip sword, and will likely accidentally kill themselves or someone else.
    • The user cannot parry with the blade when it is in whip form.
    • The whip can be cut when attacked with a very precise aim.
    • Cannot retract or extend when EMPed.
    • Whips are ineffective in tight spaces and are generally more dangerous to use around allies.
    • Contains all the limitations of the sword they are made from.
    • When in whip form, slightly less effective against armor, similar to plasma whips.
    How does it work: The blade of a sword is segmented and cored with a unique cable of programmable material that reacts to an electric current, causing it to contract and become rigid. Along with the blade segmentation that can lock together, this programmable cable allows the sword to extend into a whip and contract while still retaining the properties of a sword when contracted.

Flavor text: Whip swords are a relatively recent creation in the grand scheme of history, given that whip swords are highly impractical when made with primitive materials and technology. They have been utilized across all cultures by masters of both whips and swords, though they particularly shine as an option in Glitch and Eyeguard arsenals.

Referenced Technologies (Optional): N/A

Attainability: Open

Tags: [Military]

Category: Melee Armaments

Moon Moth and schizothotep like this.
  2. 9K

9K Galactic Officer Staff Member Administrator

About what can be expected to be the maximum length of the blades in whip form that is actually usable?

3. PrivateNomad

PrivateNomad There goes my hero, watch him as he goes Staff Member Technician Gold Donator Event Builder

Eight feet is the general usable length for whips - it also distributes the blade segmentation across. It could certainly be longer, but the segmentation would be spaced more apart, sacrificing damage.

4. 9K

9K Galactic Officer Staff Member Administrator

Alright, this is all fair. I'm giving it its first pass.

PrivateNomad likes this.
  5. Markus Aleksandr

Markus Aleksandr The Liberated Bronze Donator

As much as I try to abide by the rule of cool, there are a few noted exceptions I'd want to see before giving this a second

Namely, no matter how taut this core cable is, it's not going to be enough to compensate for the fact that the blade is segmented, especially towards the tip: it needs to be noted that more typical actions of sword-fighting, like parrying or binding, are going to leave the user of a whip sword at a significant disadvantage (if these actions aren't flat-out impossible) if their style doesn't adapt accordingly.

The additional note I have is to make sure that users of this app make sure they understand just how complicated something like using the whip-form to try and wrap it around an opponent's weapon can get: no matter how skilled you are, you run the risk of it either not working at all, or it gets so bound that even the wielder would have no choice but to take time to untangle the two weapons before resuming normal use.

Edit: Vibroblades would also be a lot less effectual, especially in whip-form, and plasma whip-blades would be put under a lot more stress, even with ferozium plating.

6. PrivateNomad

The blade is still strong and flexible when fully contracted, the main things a sword should have when it comes to being able to parry. It might be at a disadvantage, but not a massively significant one. The blades lock together, so its not just the tautness of the polymer cable holding it together.

Yeah, I can add that. Whips are fucking complicated and very few people can use both a sword AND a whip effectively. Chances are you can't be a master at both.

Could you explain that edit? I'm not sure why it'd cause more stress and be less effective than from say, taking the force of a big sword when you try to parry.

7. Markus Aleksandr

The locking mechanism(s) can't realistically afford to be anything complex without risking snapping after a few swings/parries. If they're designed to keep the segments' edges aligned, then you're still looking at a fair amount of give on the flat of the blade.
    The core aspect of vibroblades relies on amplifying cutting power by applying an oscillating force throughout the entire blade. Doing so with shorter, segmented parts is much more energy-intensive and would likely not be worth engaging when in whip-form.

And the plasma part is my fault for not better elaborating. While a plasma blade, in its base construction, has ferozium plating to shield its surrounding components from excess heat, a segmented version (with each segment invariably facing a number of different directions) may require yet-thicker plating in order to compensate for the likelihood that multiple heating-elements could be concentrated on a single segment.

My bottom-line is that I feel there needs to be a larger emphasis on the style necessary to wield this sort of thing effectively, and what could and could not be possible with such a tool, while keeping to core principles of melee weapons, both in the modern era and in-setting.

8. PrivateNomad

I mean yeah, but if its going to be too much trouble to use (parrying is very important), then it'd be more effective to the user to just use an actual sword and keep a plasma whip on their hip or something. If there's risk that the blade can just break from one parry or hit, then there is no point to this app existing.

9. Markus Aleksandr

The very nature of this sort of weapon is inherently exotic and unorthodox, with a highly specialized form of martial art.

I imagine, for the most part, that such a style would focus more on dodging and deflecting rather than full-on parrying, and if parrying becomes the only option, the user would be forced to brace the other end of the blade.

The only way I could see this design working without such a steep consequence would be to incorporate some form of meta/exotic material with properties directly benefiting the design.

Also going to throw this out there, if you want the whip form to do any meaningful damage you're probably going to want a more weighted tip, something like depicted below.

upload_2019-3-27_21-2-23.png

10. PrivateNomad

Yeah, all a fair point.

11. Markus Aleksandr

Alright, until suitable workarounds are found in order to achieve the desired effect, or until such a time as a compromise in this tech's intended design is found, I'm giving this app a Pending grade.

12. Markus Aleksandr

Moved to Failed for inactivity.