WEdit 101: Introduction to WEdit and your basic tools.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by TrIpTiCuS, Feb 20, 2021.

1. TrIpTiCuS

TrIpTiCuS Galactic Enforcer

Foreword.
    [​IMG]
    Hello! And welcome to my creative planet where I'll offer a short, quick and easy WEdit tutorial. I thought I'd put this together since it's a very useful and very powerful tool that I think more people need to learn to use. I've used the mod for several years now, and thought its about time I shared some of the insights I've gleaned from the mod in that time. So, with that all said and done, let's get right into it!

Part 1. Introduction.
    So the very first step when it comes to WEdit is of course to download the mod. If you're running the game from steam, it's as easy as downloading the mod and its dependencies from the steam workshop (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=734859295).
    The mod is also available on the chucklefish forums, for those of you who are not running the game through the steam client (https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/wedit.3722/).
    As mentioned, the mod has a few dependencies, those being the
    Quickbar Mini mod, as well as Remote Interfaces. I'd also highly recommend you pick up the Spawnable Item Pack, as it'll make using the mod a whole lot easier.
    [​IMG]
    Upon loading into a character in game, the mod will prompt you to enable the
    dash tech if you haven't already. Pressing equip here will instantly enable the tech, regardless of if you have it or not. You can also dismiss the alert, or ignore it, the latter completely blocking it from appearing in the future.
    NOTE: If you're building with a character you intend on roleplaying with as well, I highly recommend getting the sprint tech so you can switch your techs out when you're not building. Simply type '/enabletech sprint' into the chat whilst in admin mode.

[​IMG]
    This is my usual tech setup. I prefer the noclip offered by Apple's Roleplay Tech, however the WEdit mod also comes with its own noclip. By pressing
    'G' with the dash tech enabled you'll enter noclip. Be aware that this can cause weird conflicts with Apple's Roleplay Tech's sit function, so you might have to relog if you're not careful.

Now that you're in the game and ready to get started, press
    'C' to open up your crafting menu. Here, towards the bottom you'll find two new recipes. WE_Itembox, and WE_AllInOne. For this demonstration you'll only need the itembox, so go ahead and craft that one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The itembox will be added to your crafting inventory (marked by a wrench icon). Go ahead and grab it, and click with it outside your inventory to activate it.

[​IMG]
    You'll now be given every tool in the mod! So let's go ahead and go over a few of the most notable tools in this collection.

Part 2. Your Toolkit.
    With such a massive influx of new tools, you may feel overwhelmed at first. Don't worry! Let's start by trimming away some of the fat so to speak, and give you a much smaller and much more manageable toolkit to start.
    [​IMG]

The tools marked in
    green range from absolute must-haves, to nice, useful features. The tools scratched over in red are either unstable, don't work, super situational or can easily be replaced by other tools and only work to complicate the building process. I'd also recommend you hang onto your itembox, just in case you loose a tool.

These are the tools we will address in this tutorial.
    [​IMG]

Your first goal is to pin a few of your tools to your hotbar. This is as simple as grabbing the tool in question and clicking an open slot in your hotbar. I would recommend pinning the
    pencil, eyedropper, modifier, modremover and the dye. Your hotbar should look something like this.
    [​IMG]
    NOTE: The reason why I recommend these specific tools and none of the others is because these are the most versatile and the ones I use the most.

Now, in no particular order, let's go over a few of the most basic tools in greater detail!

1. The pencil.

[​IMG]
    The pencil is your most basic tool, and perhaps the one you'll use the most. Quite simply, it draws. Simply left click in order to draw blocks into the foreground, and right click in order to draw blocks into the background.
    [​IMG]

NOTE: The placement of blocks with the pencil tool follows the same rules as standard block placement, meaning that you require adjacent blocks in order to build.

By accessing the WEdit settings in the Quickbar, you can also increase the size and shape of your pencil tool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I've changed my brush to a size 3.
    [​IMG]

2. The Eyedropper
    [​IMG]
    The eyedropper has no direct effect, but rather works in tandem with many of the other tools of WEdit, namely the pencil.

Simply click on a block and the eyedropper will set that block as your currently active block, then switch to any other block placing tool such as the pencil (keep an eye on my hotbar).
    [​IMG]

Additionally, if you click the open air with the eyedropper, you get a very convenient eraser!
    [​IMG]

3. The Modifier
    [​IMG]
    The Modifier works to add various material mods onto the surface of blocks. Material mods include things such as stalks of grass, beds of snow or even clusters of ore. In order to start using the modifier, hold it in your hands and press shift and left click. This will open up the materials menu.

[​IMG]

Here, simply select one of the materials and paint over any blocks you choose, regardless of whether that block can support that mod in the vanilla game or not.
    [​IMG]

4. The Modremover
    [​IMG]
    The Modremover works in the opposite manner to the modifier, in that it removes mods instead of applying them.
    [​IMG]

5. The Dyer (Dyeifier? Dyemaker?)
    [​IMG]
    The Dyer, or Painter as I will call it works like a blend of the standard starbound paint tool and the modifier. Just press shift and left click, and you'll open up the paint menu.
    [​IMG]

Simply select a paint and then apply that paint to whatever blocks you choose.
    [​IMG]

As an added bonus, the painter can paint foreground and background blocks separately, by pressing left and right click respectively.

[​IMG]

Part 3. Conclusion.
    That about wraps it up for this tutorial. If people want to know more about the different tools, or some of the more advanced tools I'll make a followup to this tutorial. As I said previously, WEdit is an incredibly powerful tool, and I urge anyone using it to be careful. Always disable it when you're not actively using it, and make sure you don't mix any of your common/roleplay items into the same hotbar as you have your WEdit tools. But most importantly, go out there and have fun! Explore the mod, experiment with it. Most of the tools are relatively straight forward in their functions.

Thank you for reading!