Usernames fam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Teldrassil, Oct 17, 2020 at 4:25 PM.

1. Teldrassil

Teldrassil Galactic Prodige

Do you ever look at a username and go “how did they end up choosing that?”
    Well, now’s your time to find out!
    So how it works is, you explain how you got yours and then @ 2 people and they have to explain theirs. Like a username info pyramid scheme.

I’ll start.
    I went into my saved pictures folder, found an image of burning Teldrassil I had saved to tease a nelf main with and chose it as my pfp, basing my username off of it. It felt right so I went with it.

@Cheffy @Pinkbat5

TrIpTiCuS and Pinkbat5 like this.
  2. Cheffy

Cheffy The Form Bronze Donator

I made mind after a number of previous versions which I shall not name, but it eventually turned into my current one "Cheffy". Which is often misspelled on purpose.

@Khaos @TrIpTiCuS

TrIpTiCuS and Teldrassil like this.
  3. Pinkbat5

Pinkbat5 pocl v3.6.3 Staff Member Moderator Diamond Donator

Mine is a derivative of my First Username Ever, Hotpink5– which was my Webkinz username. Hot pink was my favourite colour, and I was five years old at the time. Lol
    I don't remember why I didn't keep it as Hotpink5, but bats were one of my favourite animals at the time (and they still are now) so that's probably why i inserted 'bat'. Maybe I didn't think the specific kind of pink I liked was important anymore... But I probably just misremembered it.
    "pocl.v" is also a derivative, from Pinkbat5. It originated around two years ago when Lloyd was trying to talk to me on the GC discord, but butchered my username as "pjnkbag". It was so mangled that everybody immediately thought it was hilarious, and proceeded to call me it jokingly for several months. The running joke eventually devolved into misspelling my username more and more, until one person (I think SomeTemplar?) said 'pocl'. I thought it unironically had a nice ring to it, tacked a cool-looking letter on the end (v) and started using it as a username on some social media. That's around it.
    Hmmmmm
    @Bulphrog @Dust and Echoes

Teldrassil likes this.
  4. TrIpTiCuS

TrIpTiCuS Galactic Commoner

Mine's from back when I used to play TF2 in, must've been 2014? 2015? Regardless, I remember seeing this guy playing soldier. Now when I first read his name I saw it as "TRIPT" and thought "Hey, that's pretty cool sounding". I soon realised however that the T's were ascii crosses, which meant Tript was up for grabs! And that's what I ended up rocking for a few months, with a bit of capitalisation thrown in because I liked the symmetrical look (TrIpT). However I quickly found that name didn't really roll off the tongue very well, so I added the "-icus" suffix, and ended up with TrIpTiCuS. So yeah, that's my origin story I guess.

You @ZachChase and you @Notanumber

Teldrassil likes this.
  5. Notanumber

Notanumber The Archivist Staff Member Community Monitor

*Clap*
    So!
    There was this old British series called The Prisoner. Came out in 1967. It was about an unnamed former secret service agent being kidnapped and interrogated by a seemingly all powerful organization, operating out of a strange coastal village. The show was weird, esoteric and difficult to follow. And it had this, enlightening opening I invite you all to watch.

The Line at the end, "I am not a number, I'm a free man!" stuck with me. If I'm remembering correctly, it was even sampled in an Iron Maiden song, I would imagine that contributed to the quote's popularity. Eventually, around the winter of 2015, I ended up building my own PC. And I needed a new online nom de plume. I dug up that old quote, buried somewhere in the back of my mind. But I thought best make a hilarious joke out of it! So rather than Iamnotanumber, it was Iamnotanumber2000. One will note, that has a number on it. Which is fucking hysterical.

Interestingly not long after I chose this username a children's book was released also called I Am Not a Number. It followed the story of a young First Nations girl called Irene who was forced to leave her family and move to a residential school. The book's primary focus was on the struggle to hold onto one's cultural identity when it's being forcefully torn from you, and your shamed and picked on for your heritage. The cover image it was sold under being Irene having her long hair cut, made to conform with the standards of the society that belittled her. It's an interesting and thoughtful perspective on the legacy of colonialism. Written in terms that children still suffering from similar systems could understand and related with.

Kinda make me feel like a dick for making the quote into a dumb joke...

Anyway! I nominate, @Odinsbeard and @TriReef

TrIpTiCuS, Teldrassil and Pinkbat5 like this.
  6. Mannyisback

Mannyisback New Arrival

I use mannyisback alot i used mannyisback when I did not know my discord name

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    Teldrassil likes this.
  7. Exon

Exon New Arrival

I played with sounds when I was, like, five. No real special meaning behind it - though it is the term for a segment of DNA that is used to code amino acids (as opposed to an intron, which does not).

Nominating the Vampyr lords, @Dekerrex and @zecon125 to explain.

Teldrassil likes this.
  8. zecon125

zecon125 Lizzer Staff Member Moderator Bronze Donator

Scream.

I'll be honest here, I created zecon125 as I was making a Minecraft account. I specifically wanted something unique and memorable, so I created my own word and put some funny numbers. Fun fact! I had been pronounced it 'zec-own' for most of my life, then I realized that was fucking stupid and no word works like that.

Uhh, @Endiie and @ZachChase

Teldrassil and Exon like this.