Tolkin's "Private" Log: 9/29/85

Discussion in 'Diaries & Captain's Logs' started by Roren, Sep 29, 2018.

?

How'd I do?

1. Good

100.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Roren

Roren Galactic Citizen

I write this log not because I want to, but because I need to. My name is Tobias Tolkin, and, as far as I know, I may be the longest living "human" left in the galaxy. In the year...something...Earth was destroyed. There were many who lived, many who died, and a lot more who ended up in between those two things. I was one of the latter. I was wounded, mutilated severely, and extracted deep into space under the guise that I was a wealthy businessman with infinite amounts of knowledge and skill. This was a half-truth. Yeah, I had money, and yeah, I'm pretty smart. But my men knew that I was dying. In order to keep me alive, I was brought out into the depths of space to assemble my own private company.

Tolkin United. It was simply a mining operation in an asteroid belt, but with one small twist. The security systems, the base's facilities, they were all controlled by one person. Me. I was...for lack of better words, jacked into the system, and my memories were drip-fed into a portable device.(I've later learned that the device was horribly inefficient and was corrupting and corroding my "brain." This has since been resolved thanks to some amazing people that I will keep nameless for now.) For a time, things were peaceful, and I was...alive, I guess. Merely a brain being repurposed for the benefit of others. Eventually, a man named Keifin Soosnekev came under my employ. His family line was trusted with this well-guarded secret, all the way up to my only real living employee, Vadim Soosnekev. It was a good time after his retirement that things went...awry. A local pirate/mercenary company known as Omega Company had heard of our isolated wealth and wanted to cash in. They slaughtered everyone. Everyone, but Vadim. Vadim, being the crafty genius that he is, sabotaged their ship, killing most of their men, but blowing up most of the station as well. Vadim was tasked with collecting my "A Drive", which it will be known as from here on out, and evacuating the station with my incomplete consciousness in tow.This left my brain...segmented and confused. I knew who I was, but not at the same time. The link was severed, and what was left of the station was dedicated to keeping myself alive. This will come back into play at a later date.

The next part is where my story becomes...somewhat far-fetched. See, our asteroid belt was created due to a massive war on a nameless planet. I honestly don't know much about the planet's history, but I do know this: A large chunk of our station crashed into the planet, and Vadim had found a way to survive. We were there for a while. Almost a full year, I think, and we picked up an orphaned avian into our crew.His name is Falgrin. He's a good kid, and I pray to whatever god is out there that he's alright. I was hooked into a crappy, half-functioning droid, and Vadim was spending most of his time salvaging ship parts so we could get off of this planet. A lot of time passed before I was re-activated. Vadim needed help from me and the kid. Omega Company had caught up to us, and their leader had completely lost his mind. He believes he's some sort of god, and has a mental kill switch for every single man under his employment. He wanted us to go to the Fringe and get involved in some sort of raid on an old university.

They called it the Miskatonic. We had no idea what he was talking about, but the 5th day Vadim had spent lurking around Haven City, some weird shit happened. The events that transpired there directly tied into Omega Company locating Vadim, and roping us into their master plan bullshit. We borrowed a sizeable amount of Solus gear, of which Vadim had somehow miraculously acquired a job with within those 5 days, and joined the raiding party under the names of Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Omega, Theta, and Delta, the heads of their shitty little outfit, stayed behind. We were sent in there to capture a god. Strange things happened in there. From a man being burned from memories, to being teleported to a mountain to face our biggest fears. Not all of us made it. Some of our people even turned on each other. Eventually, we found this "god." The kid, Beta, he took the brunt of everything. I, uh...I tried to send my body off on a suicide run into the god, but it...didn't work. I still had somewhat of an uplink to the bot's body, even after I was removed from it, so I got to see enough.

Omega and his goons took my friends off to who the fuck knows where, and I was powerless to stop them. Luckily, one of the raid members, Jon, he saved me. I was jacked into his datapad for a bit, before meeting my current..."family". A synthetic intelligence by the name of I.R.M.A., and a brilliant engineer named Ernie. Also, an analoa named Aroha. Irma loaned me one of her empty cores(my current one), and a body of her's. After that, my brain started to relink with my first body, across all of that space. For a bit, things were good. Then, Aroha, being the kind soul she is, paid for my own custom body, so I could be my own person. I was transferred into that shortly after. I was enjoying myself, and then things started...clicking. I tried to push the thoughts away, but they created something new entirely. Technology is weird like that, sometimes. I'll never know it's name, but it locked me into a mental stalemate with me debating if I was actually real or not. This catapulted most of my brain back to my original body, of which I had learned that Lima, one of Omega's original crew, was tasked with destroying me. Ernie made sure he didn't, fully transferred my mind into my new body, and now, I'm finally able to live my life.

But am I really? I've been around for so long, I don't feel as if I deserve to live any more. My best friend is off being tortured by some sort of shadow-cult, and I don't have to worry about any of that bullshit anymore. I'm free, but not. I know that I still have enough life in me to outlive anyone who might even read this log, and it scares me. I want to love people. I want to be in a relationship, and I want to finally die happy. But I just don't see it happening.

I just don't see it happening.

Moon Moth likes this.
  2. Roren

Roren Galactic Citizen

((I'm sorry if this seems a little...bad, but please bear with me. I haven't really done anything quite like this before, and I can't really advance the arc until a specific thing happens.))