The Nysians

Discussion in 'Species Applications' started by Cheffy, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Cheffy

Cheffy The Form Bronze Donator

Stage 1: Basic Synopsis

Tags

Metamorphic bioluminescent plant-like warrior bards from a Gaia world.

Appearance

Nysians are a tall and graceful species of floral lifeforms that are native to the Gaia world Nys. Their height typically ranges between 7’5’’ and 8’0’’, due to the planet’s gravity. Various parts of their figure glows, including their eyes. It is often a soft teal color, but there are exceptions. The rest of their body is a dark black. They are humanoid, possessing two arms and two legs, but six eyes- Three on each side, two bigger and more central than the rest. Their scalp often sprouts identifying features.

There are two stages to the Nysian life cycle- Juvenile and Adult. Juveniles are short and bright. Their glowing body trails off into a ‘dress’ around their legs, which flows when they move. Adults come when juveniles kill a creature and form a cocoon from the corpse. The appearance and abilities of adults vary wildly, as part of the metamorphosis incorporates the birthcreature’s genes.

Culture

Nys hosts a culture of warrior poets and natural philosophers- Each should be able to forge their own blade, weave their own clothing, and hunt their own meals. Paradoxically, Nysians enjoy the concept of specialization and mastering specific arts. They frown only upon the idea of letting the luxury of modern society weaken yourself from knowing how to fend off the wilds of their home. Nys is a planet of Renaissance Men.

The planet is divided into many city states, the biggest of which focus around a college of philosophy- Buildings comparable to the Library of Alexandria. There are three such institutes on the planet. The College of The Art, The College of The Hunt, and the College of The Blade Dance. Each focuses on specific parts of their lifestyle. The Art hosts the best creators on Nys, and views the artistry in their life to be most important. The Hunt hosts the best weaponsmiths on Nyx. They view their survival and weapon mastery to be the pivot of their life. The Blade Dance believes the performance and instilling emotions into others are the core of the Nysian way.

History

Nys and their people were forged in the womb of coincidence and lucky happenstance- Born and cultured on a Gaia World in a system alight with life potential. Early Nysians found home amidst the massive trees and megaflora of their homeworld, hunting their beasts for food and the growth of their young. As time progressed and they mastered technology, their traditions stayed stalwart in the face of discovery, keeping keen to the old ways as they seamlessly blended new ideas with the old. They never properly unified into one mass government, entrusting each of their scattered city states to govern its people how it pleased- One’s right to their destiny is unshakable.

Now they sit, governed by the three philosopher kings of Nys- The Faseir of the College of the Hunt, the Issuir of the College of the Art, and the Ayveir of the College of the Blade dance. Under their rule, Nys has seemed to prosper.

Intentions for Story & Setting Interactions

Nysians present a way to be a part of a cool and introspective warrior culture with a highly diverse skill set.- Their home world also allows for a new and interesting place to be explored in the Milky Way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Teldrassil and Exon like this.
  2. TrIpTiCuS

TrIpTiCuS Galactic Citizen

Co-signed!

Teldrassil and Cheffy like this.
  3. zecon125

zecon125 Lizzer Staff Member Moderator Bronze Donator

Cosign

Teldrassil and Cheffy like this.
  4. Dorfus

Dorfus New Arrival

YES

cosign!

(the culture part put a big stupid smile on my face)

Teldrassil, Exon and Cheffy like this.
  5. Teldrassil

Teldrassil Galactic Enforcer

Cosinner

Cheffy likes this.
  6. crumchy

crumchy pet food taster Silver Donator

cosign

Exon and Cheffy like this.
  7. Exon

Exon Galactic Commoner

Co-sign. You convinced me, damn you.

Cheffy likes this.
  8. Caucasian Asian

Caucasian Asian p̵̈́̾̀͂̈́́̆̆̋͐́́̀̇͗́̍͝ Staff Member Community Monitor Impervium Donator

co sign

:)

Cheffy likes this.
  9. Pinkbat5

Pinkbat5 pocl v3.6.3 Staff Member Moderator Diamond Donator

Initial pass. Some things to focus on in stage 2:
    – Their gene-stealing properties are going to be under the most scrutiny, so be sure to give examples of how it influences the adult form, how it evolved, and how it works in general.
    – You're also going to want to work out how they interact with other species, like Vampyr and Shifters, in terms of infectibility and whether or not they can steal those genetic codes.
    – How does their reproduction work in general?
    – How do they interact with other species? Is cocooning sentient species taboo, or encouraged?
    – Can they cocoon plants?
    I love the concept of gene-stealing, and I'm sure this'll have some fun implications for their culture and how they view other animals. Looking forward to seeing the full app!!

Exon, Dorfus, Khaos and 1 other person like this.
  10. zirconzz

zirconzz da guy Staff Member Community Monitor Gold Donator

Hello, I'll be giving this app it's second pass! Pink already mentioned a lot of things that I would have mentioned my self so I won't do it again, but please do a lot of work on that history in Stage 2. I'd also like to see an expansion on their society, how it's organized and such, it seems quite interesting and likely would've heavily influenced their history and culture extensively.

Love these guys, lots of good potential, but that history is very barebones and sparse. Also since I saw a few questions about it in Discord, make sure you clarify in the Stage 2 that they are not primitive while expanding on culture. Helps avoid confusion.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Exon, Dorfus and Cheffy like this.
  11. Yuma

Yuma New Arrival

Cosign bias

Exon and Cheffy like this.