Race Philology / Race Languages

Discussion in 'Suggestions Archive' started by TheRagnaRoek, Jun 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRagnaRoek

TheRagnaRoek New Arrival

While roleplaying in and on GC for a little while now, I have noticed two things:

A) In the roleplay, sometimes, usually when people of the same race meet, they might start talking in their race's language. But...

B) There is nothing on here that really describes how these languages work/sound/feel.

Everyone has ideas about how they would probably sound. Let's take Avians or "Avirosi": I've heard people describe it or assume it from trilling to singing like birds to chirping. Sure, the game itself suggests a direction with the sounds it has. But to me, that is very scarce - I love languages and thus have thought about how they would sound and work. And it surprised me that there was no lore in that direction - on one of the most elaborate RP environments I have ever seen.

So, my suggestion is relatively simple, yet at the same time will probably be quite a chunk of work to do: I would like lore about the different races' languages to be included.

Now of course this is a project that is both not exactly small and rather special. We all know our mother tongue and other languages we speak maybe have ideas about how other languages sound - more or less. I doubt that we have many people here that are familiar with philology or love languages like myself. But I think some of you would find this interesting as well.

I have started working on a few of the languages already out of personal interest, specifically Avian and Hylotl. If a "language lore" would be of interest, I would be very happy to work on that - and even happier if I could either work together with the loremasters or at least receive feedback to my ideas.

PS: Yes, this is pretty much the same suggestion as on the old forum, but rewritten a bit more precisely. I can also post the scraps about what I have developed yet, if wanted. /emoticons/smile.png/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

2. NublarRex

NublarRex New Arrival

I saw this on the old forum and I still agree a language mechanic needs to exist for the vanilla races. I've seen custom races speak their native tongues, but I've never seen an Avian or a hylotl speak their native languages.

3. FancyFishes

FancyFishes New Arrival

I also agree, there could be an apposite section on the lore treads.

I imagine hylotl's language being similiar at japanese, more fluid and a bit rattling (is that how how you say it?).

I hope this language section becomes a thing

4. Drakkar

Drakkar Space Pirate & Beastmaster Ex-Staff

The idea contained in this suggestion has been taken into consideration for future updates on Galaxy Citizen's lore.

Locked and moved to the archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.