Modification Nanites

Discussion in 'Denied' started by Jakiboy343, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Jakiboy343

Jakiboy343 New Arrival

Name: Modification Nanites

Description: A small circular durasteel canister that holds a large amount of nanites, all of which are white, and cloud together when used.

Abilities: The nanites can modify a person physically, usually the size of the user.

Conditional Abilities: While there are no specific conditional abilities, the nanites, with the right person, could be modified to do something else. 

Limitations: This tech is inherently dangerous to the user, as if it is majorly overused, the nanites can malfunction and fail to fully repair the user, usually resulting in memory loss in the minor cases. 

Conditional Limitations: EMPs will deactivate the nanites, which will not reactivate until it is repaired.

How does it work: The tech uses atomic-sized nanites to shrink the user's atoms down. This is done by reducing the 'empty space' between atoms, and then, 'refilling' that space to revert the person. After shrinking the user, the nanites form a protective shell, or ball, around the user.

Flavor text: Modification Nanites are usually used by large mining industries as an emergency way to escape small caverns.

Attainability: [Open] 

Tags: [Industrial]

Category: Nanotechnology

2. Skid

Skid God Incarnate Staff Member Community Monitor Diamond Donator

Heya @Jakiboy343

So I've already given this a read, and will be giving it's initial grading. Unfortunately I'm going to be giving this application a fail.

Before I start listing off reasons why, lets take a look at Electro-Negative Storage.

The Electro-Negative Storage device has the same general idea as Modification Nanites, in that it effectively shrinks atoms to make things smaller. Here's the issue, though. Electro-Negative Storage devices are incredibly expensive to produce, have a large power draw, and most importantly, stores the objects in the device rather than just shrinking them. Let's compare to the Modification Nanites. There is no mention of power requirements (and even then, the nanites wouldn't be able to carry the batteries needed to meet those needs) and cost issues.

Another issue is, you mention the nanites are the size of an atom. Not only is this impossible since it takes multiple atoms to make a nanite, to put it simply, but also because nanites in GCs setting can only get as big as a blood cell.

Other than that, the application is a bit vague in what it's supposed to be.

3. PrivateNomad

PrivateNomad There goes my hero, watch him as he goes Staff Member Technician Gold Donator Event Builder

I will be agreeing with Skid and will second this fail.

In GC's technology lore, we prefer to attempt to maintain some semblance of a "space western" theme. It is of my opinion that high technology apps such as this have no place in our lore and have little scientific basis. Nanomachines, of course, are a limited technology, especially in the Fringe where such technology is rare and expensive to produce for most people.