// Interview with David Ward of the Haven Federation. //

Discussion in 'Nexus Net' started by dzalamaj, Sep 7, 2021.

1. dzalamaj

dzalamaj Galactic Prodige

// On various news sites a link to an article appears. All of them are posted by an user "IndependentNewswithATouchofBlues.StefanKramp" and they lead to the official site of the said man. Not a second passes and you're redirected to a section "Interviews". //

Independent News
    with
    A Touch
    of Blues!

Good day to all Independent readers, today we will explore depths and peaks of what is called a beacon of light in this dark place we call the Fringe. There was always a clear border between Civ-Space and where we are. The law was subjective, being named by each individual different. Some thought killing is okay, some had forbidden it. The list of examples like this went on and on, but we had never been more close to achieving an universal state of a moral spine. My guest today is somebody that, I personally believe, took a role to be enforcing those rules as he became the part of the beacon of light. I am talking about a certain Senator from a certain nation. Specifically, mister David Ward from the Haven Federation.

[D = David, S = Stefan]
    S:
    Today I am with David Ward, a Senator of the Haven Federation. Haven Federation is considered the stable point of the Fringe and, even though it has it’s controversies, the system pays back with a drive to offer safety for any newcomers. Mister Ward, you are one of the leaders of this political system that we call Senators. First of all then, who are you? What do you do and why do you do it?

D: I'm David Ward. I'm a lot of things. I'm a dad, I'm an engineer, but also a senator. Senators pass legislation in Haven. We introduce bills, then vote on whether or not we should make them into law. We can also pass resolutions, vote on impeachments... stuff like that. Also, If you're a foreign nation and you want to strike a deal with Haven, you're either meeting up with one of us or all of us. We're the people you go to.

S: Do you have any recent successes?

D: The most recent stuff I've done was write the Renaize independence act, and the anomaly sciences safety act. I do these things because I know I make a difference, here. I have good ideas and I'm well-suited to the role. I keep things running smoothly, and I like that.

S: Next question is about you too. Specifically, from what I had researched, Haven is not your birthplace. I want to ask about the oddity of a large part of the Senate being foreigners. Why does this position attract so many immigrants?

D: Honestly, I’m not sure. I was in the first wave of immigrants when Haven opened its borders. I’m gonna guess it’s partially ‘cause Haven’s really attractive to immigrants, and partially ‘cause it was stagnating before. Voters wanted a fresh set? That, and Haven has different priorities now. It needs a foreign policy now, so… people who used to live in other nations have a leg up in negotiating with ‘em. It is worth saying, I am no longer a foreigner. I've lived here since I got my citizenship. This is my home.

S: We will stay on the topic of foreigners. A couple of years in the past there was an incident in the Corrav district. Since then, opinions of so-called shifters are varied. Most of us know those opinions, but there are also other nationalities and species that have joined the Federation since. Has that catastrophe set a certain obstacle in welcoming those new people? I'm talking mostly about your society's mood about them.

D: Not as much as you’d expect. Most of the anger’s directed at shifters themselves, not foreigners in general. But it did still set an obstacle for some people.

S: Now, I want to talk more about the political system of your nation. Recently there was an article covering a story about Senator Lesslyn. She was accused of purchasing nuclear missiles from the Forlorn Legion, if I'm not mistaken. The case was dropped because it was decided to be a personal hobby rather than a case of malicious intents. The question is: Should it be allowed for a Senator to have this kind of hobby?

D: Morally? No. But in the books? It sucks, but yes. The moment you start trying to enforce what people are allowed to do outside of Haven's borders, everything changes. It's a big galaxy. You.. you can't get investigative warrants for Forlorn property. The only exception is stuff directly related to Haven. Bribery, rigging elections, theft of government property, leaking classified documents, pointing nukes at Haven. That sort of thing.

S: I have given you questions hard enough about politics, mister Ward. If you don't mind, I would like to go into a more personal zone. You are considered one of the most popular people in the Haven Federation. Do you feel like your surreal hooter account is the reason behind it?

D: I think it helps. [Laugh] It's a bunch of stuff that adds up. The Hooter account's one of the big ones. I bet if I didn't have it, I'd have a radio show or something instead.

S: If there was a radio show with you, I would feature it in my article. Tell me, what do you like to do in free time? Are there any hobbies you adore?

D: I have plenty. Fishing, hiking and camping. Video games, sometimes. Programming’s a job but a hobby too, once in a blue moon. Fishing is the main one. I go twice a week. It’s relaxing.

S: And last question, where do you see yourself in a few years? Do you have any plans for the future, in case you don't run for a Senator next cadence?

D: I don’t know why I’d ever stop being a senator, but if I did, I’d get back into engineering stuff. Maybe start a company. I don't know. I’d have a lot more free time.

S: That is all, thank you very much for your time mister Ward. I am certain that my Independent readers will be satisfied.

D: It's been a pleasure, thanks for having me man!

As we can see, the questions asked had been answered. Some with more details, some with less. But that is what Independence means, as I can give any questions, the person on the other side can give any answers. With a Touch of Blues.

Music played during the interview:
    Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog
    Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy

// At the very bottom is a humble button with a text "Donate". Comment section is also available. //

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021