Ranged Armaments Guided Arrows

Discussion in 'Approved' started by Sir. Mister, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Sir. Mister

Sir. Mister New Arrival

Name: Guided Arrows

Description: Aluminum arrows capable of changing direction mid-air, controlled via a neural link.

Abilities:
    -Arrows can change direction in mid air, albeit not quite accurately or very quick or nimbly.

Limitations:
    -The arrows only have a small amount of RCS thrust that does not extend flight time or speed, so it will remain the same as any normal arrow.
    -Susceptible to EMP, after which it is effectively an expensive regular arrow.
    -Not disposable.
    -Quite expensive.

How Does it work:
    A targeting computer in the arrow, connected to the user via soft neural link, controls the fletching on the arrow, moving them much like a missile's fins, as well as small RCS thrusters along the shaft, which have their fuel stored in the shaft of the arrow, and enough to be practically useful for most hunting. Deep concentration is required to control the arrows, and the user loses focus on everything else around them while doing so. Breaking focus from the arrow causes the user to lose control of it, and the arrow will continue to fly as if it were a normal arrow.

Flavor Text: Painstakingly designed by a single hunter in the Fringe, meant for personal use, however the design was eventually sold to a hunting supplies company in civ-space.

Attainability: Open

Tags: [Military]

Category: Ranged Armaments

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Sir. Mister

Sir. Mister New Arrival

(anyone?)

3. 9K

9K Galactic Officer Staff Member Administrator

Hi. I'll be grading your application today.

Given you answered one of the other questions I'd have, regarding speed in this application, I have five questions left:
    How are the thrusters triggered if they're fired from a bow?
    What's the maximum angle, in degrees, they can turn mid-flight from their original path?
    How is the turning controlled by the user?
    What's the maximum distance the turning can be controlled?
    What kind of fuel is being used?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Sir. Mister

Sir. Mister New Arrival

The thrusters are triggered to aid the fins, so they'd be activated at about the same time.
    In most practical situations, about 100 degrees, though certaintly not on a dime. In space though, or at least low gravity environments, a full 360 could be achieved, due to longer flight time (again, not on a dime). The turning is most useful for snaking around objects in it's path, given it's intent for forest hunting use.
    The targeting computer is connected via a soft neural link, which would control the turning with the user's commands.
    About 50 yards, maximum.
    Hydrogen peroxide monopropellant.

5. 9K

Alright. In regard to controlling the arrows again, elaborate on the soft neural link please. Would this be an implant of some sort like a chip or an entirely external device such as, say some fancy set of tecno glasses?
    Also, I wanted to know how the thrusters are activated, not what they do. Are they activated by velocity or, perhaps that neural link by command?

6. Sir. Mister

Sir. Mister New Arrival

The soft neural link is a chip implant. Each arrow must be connected to the implant individually, and manually. The thrusters and fins are activated by the neural link, on the users command.

7. WowGain

WowGain Bara King Staff Member Administrator Bronze Donator Event Builder

8. 9K

Alright, thank you. I'm going to ask one thing then, as an additional condition toward using these.
    The one firing the arrows, if they are controlling their direction must be in a state of deep concentration. In other words, mid-flight if they're controlling the arrows, they're going to have tunnel vision, not focusing at all on the world around them. That's all I'm asking in order to balance out the advantage of having that much precision: Vulnerability. If you can accept that then this is passed.

@Sir. Mister

9. Sir. Mister

Sir. Mister New Arrival

Seems fair to me. Should I edit that into my app?

10. 9K

Yes, please. When you make the edit just drop another post in here and we can be done here.

11. WowGain

12. Sir. Mister

Sir. Mister New Arrival

@9K Sorry I took so long, had a lot of stuff to deal with these past few days.

13. 9K

That's alright. Passed.

14. WowGain

Seconded. Pass.