Wearable Gravitic Interdiction Projectors

Discussion in 'Approved' started by zecon125, Dec 10, 2023.

1. zecon125

zecon125 Lizzer Staff Member Moderator Bronze Donator

Name: G.I.P, Gravitic Interdiction Projector, Vortex Device, Siren Module

Description: A G.I.P. is a device that projects out a ‘vortex’ of artificial gravity, dragging things toward itself. The strength of this pull, as well as the range it reaches out to, is determined mostly by its size. The further out you go from the device, the weaker the effects are.
    . . Most devices are made to be hand-held, worn, or deployable, and are not powerful enough to significantly move a person. However, it is possible for larger ones to be made with sufficient infrastructure.

Abilities:
    - The primary use of a G.I.P. is to ‘snag’ projectiles out of the air, redirecting the attacks to the device itself, or its user. Smaller weapons like pistols and shotguns are liable to be fully dragged in, while higher power weapons such as rifles are often only misdirected. This of course varies with how deep into the field they are.
    - - Small devices, (~6 inches in diameter), can reach out a foot and a half from the device.
    - - Medium devices, (~12 inches in diameter), can reach out three feet from the device.
    - - Large devices (~24 inches in diameter), can reach out six feet from the device.

Conditional Abilities:
    - Slower or lighter projectiles, such as arrows or plasma, are weaker to the effect.
    - Larger, emplaced G.I.P. devices can exist.
    - Exotic weapons like boltcasters that do not utilize gravity much in their function are largely unaffected.

Limitations:
    - If a G.I.P. is implemented into armor or a shield, it is possible for the user’s own bullets to be directed back at them.
    - While G.I.P.s meant to be used on the battlefield are typically armored, they are not invincible and often do not last long under direct fire. As a rule of thumb, the smaller it is, the weaker it is.
    - G.I.P.s are not EMP-proof and can not be made EMP-proof, even when integrated into armor.
    - Weapons that rely on fluids, like a flamethrower's fuel, are highly effective at being redirected. This is not often good for the long-term health of the G.I.P. or its user.
    - A G.I.P. takes one turn to activate, but takes two turns after being deactivated to fully power down.

Conditional Limitations:
    - Lasers are unaffected by the device, and Gauss weaponry is treated similarly to a rifle by default.
    - Larger G.I.P. devices fuck with the balance and coordination of those in their range, providing a feeling that has been compared to nausea. This makes combatants much more vulnerable to tripping or other such fumbles. This always applies if you're wearing the device.
    - A G.I.P. device's battery will typically only last between six to twelve turns, based on its size. If it is implemented into armor or supplied a larger battery, this limitation is side-stepped.
    - Battery lifetime when attached to a suit or larger battery is somewhere between one and two hours of continuous use.
    - The G.I.P. causes minor visual distortion around it, making it obvious when it is on.

How does it work: An array of projectors built into the device cast out a bubble of artificial gravity centered around it. This process is powered by a battery located at its center, and toggled by a switch or button. While the process of casting out its field is energy-intensive, most devices are destroyed in combat before they reach the end of their battery life.

Flavor text: While most stellar organizations have the technology capable of producing a G.I.P. device, the most notable example of this is the Forlorn Legion, who have only recently acquired and created their first prototypes. This was done under the tinkering of OR-43/70459 “Creep”, and is the second Forlorn experiment with artificial gravity technology.

Referenced Technologies: Gravity tech

Attainability: Open

Tags: [Military]

Category: Wearable

2. Nemo

Nemo Leader of the Rat Crew Staff Member Community Monitor Diamond Donator

After some thought, first pass, i like human shields

3. Ryanatorx

Ryanatorx Galactic Officer Community Monitor Gold Donator

Second pass after discussion and edits