Dream Eaters

Discussion in 'Approved' started by zecon125, Jul 9, 2017.

1. zecon125

zecon125 Lizzer Staff Member Moderator Bronze Donator

(The application has been drastically re-written, due to the old version being poorly written and unclear overall. A copy of the original has been saved.)

Name: Dream Eaters, Waking Nightmares, Brasit’s Children.

Description: Dream Eaters take on a visage best suited to their current hosts greatest fears, be that the ocean, fire, spiders, or heights. This changes from host to host, with a single Dream Eater often going through a myriad of hosts in its lifetime.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Artistic depictions of two different Dream Eater forms.)

Behavior: Dream Eaters begin like seeking a host or target with which to begin a parasitic link. When it encounters a suitable host, it will begin an involuntary bond with the target. This bond is very similar to the way Qarins attach to their owners, though much faster- Usually only needing around an hour. Typically the whole process will be done while the host is asleep, unconscious, or otherwise paralyzed.
    While attached to a host, a Dream Eater will subtly input thoughts and fears into its host’s mind. Similar to Qarins, a Dream Eater can not get further than forty feet away from its host before it is forcefully disconnected. However a host is often entirely unaware of a Dream Eater, only manifested as hallucinations and invisible, lingering fears. A Dream Eater is most active while its host is inactive or asleep, where it will form beside them, and whisper horrible fears to their master. This causes horrible, evil nightmares. The effect is so bad it often stops a host from sleeping at all, forming into insomnia. The combined efforts of a Dream Eater is said to often cause severe depression, often leading into suicidal tendencies.
    Curiously, if the host already has a Qarin, they will not be targeted by a Dream Eater. When a Dream Eater is hurt, it will also cause pain within the host, enough so that the target will avoid killing them.

Tamability: They can not be tamed through any natural process, however during their creation or later on they can be edited to be docile or even follow the orders of another- The biggest example is Gravelord Brasit himself, to whom all Dream Eaters obey.

Where is it found?: It can often be found only where civilization is, preferring darker places with more danger to fear.

Rarity: They are found wherever a particularly sinister Glitch archmage could be found. As such they are rare in most parts of the Fringe, and uncommon inside the Undercrypt.

Diet/Method of gaining nutrients and energy: A Dream Eater survives off its hosts energy while attached. When and if the host dies(preferably by suicide) the Dream Eater will "devour" all of the energy left within them, before departing for its next host. This is done similarly to a Reaper, which they are partially based on.

Products?: If they are killed, they will drop an amount of Phase Matter.

Reproduction: Dream Eaters are incapable of reproducing in any real way. If they are too injured or incapable of feeding themself, it will attempt an asexual reproduction. This is a doomed attempt, as it only splits the amount of energy remaining.
    The only way to properly create a new Dream Eater is to do so in a ‘ritual.’ The first to figure this out was Gravelord Brasit, however after several other Glitch and Erebian mages have discovered how to do it free from him. This ritual is somewhat similar to the 'Reincarnation' practiced by various Erebian mages to make phase-matter beings of various kinds.

Size: The smallest a Dream Eater can get before not being able to reproduce is 2 feet, they can grow up to 8 feet tall if fed properly.

Weight: Varies on size, but often very little as a phase matter being.

Lifespan: They are biologically immortal, capable of carrying on until they are killed- via starving or otherwise.

Abilities:

+ Latches onto a host similar to Qarins.
    + Causes nightmares, hallucinations, depression and insomnia within the host.
    + Capable of determining the greatest fears of those its bonded to.
    + Causes pain to its host when it's attacked.

Flaws:

- All of the normal flaws of being a Phase Matter entity.
    - Very weak physically, to the point of being unable to attack physically.
    - Cowardly when in presence of a Qarin.
    - Vulnerable while its target is asleep, generally predictable.

Other: Dream Eaters were originally made by the Vampyric Gravelord Brasit, a tyrant Gravelord who ruled using fear, as a way of terrorizing his enemies. They are often sold or stored in a similar way to Qarins.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Khaos

Khaos Purple Man Impervium Donator

Hello @zecon125 !
    I will be grading this bestiary application.
    My first qualm is how does this species prevent its own extinction? Upon producing a single 'baby', the parent dies. This provides zero population growth for this species, making their survival futile.
    My second question is what manner of "energy" do these creature get from their hosts? I could understand draining battery banks dry for synthetic life, but what would they do in the case of organic life? Could you be a tad more specific?
    Given their phase-matter nature, they can be detected and slain like a Qarin correct? What happens to a host when they are forcefully disconnected from a host or otherwise killed while bound to a host?
    This application is pending.​

3. zecon125

1. Dream Eaters, as a manufactured creature, were created likes this so that they weren't a problem for Brasit in the future. As such he only made a single "batch" of them to terrorize his enemies. Though other mages since Brasit's fall have made them.

2. They feed like a Reaper does, off bio-electricity and normal electricity.

3. A Dream Eater can be detected and slain like a Qarin, yes. If killed while connected to a host, the host will feel some of this pain. But comparatively to the pain a Qarin owner feels, it's minimal and only exists as a way to stop people from killing it. After it is dead, the hosts often describe it as a weight being lifted from them.

I should also note that I will be changing the rarity so that they're not Undercrypt only.

4. Khaos

I see, so their origins are artificial in nature, and thank you for clarifying how they feed.
    As for the Qarin similarity, that is good to know. However, continuing on the subject, how do these creatures react when they invade a host that has a Qarin bound to them?

5. zecon125

They react to such occurrences with fear. And will often purposely avoid those with a Qarin.

6. Khaos

I'm sorry for having taken so long to respond to this. Could you edit this information into the application itself? Ping me when you do so.
    Pending.

7. zecon125

I'm sorry for taking so long to update it. It's been done.

8. Khaos

That is fine! With everything put into consideration, Dream Eaters will receive a pass!​

9. zecon125

Original application has been heavily edited due to being relatively unclear and poorly written. Requesting a re-grade.

10. Markus Aleksandr

Markus Aleksandr The Liberated Bronze Donator

upload_2019-5-6_5-28-27.png

Incomplete thought.

Additionally, while I get that they are functionally-similar to Qarins, to an extent, I was always under the impression that attachment/bonding was a conscious effort on the host's part. That said, are Dream Eaters somehow able to manipulate their own 'arrows' as a means to attach themselves? How does that particular process work?

Final thoughts, if they are able to affect inorganic beings (presumably so given their ties to UC), how are they able to discern/interpret potentially-proprietary data protocols to affect a synthetic or even Glitch sapient?

11. zecon125

Thought complete.

The rest has been discussed in DMs.

12. Markus Aleksandr

Markus Aleksandr The Liberated Bronze Donator