Defensive Integrated Stereo System (DISS)

Discussion in 'Denied' started by EPS-Reborn, Oct 17, 2017.

1. EPS-Reborn

EPS-Reborn New Arrival

Name: Defensive Integrated Stereo System (DISS)

Description: A complex and versatile system of speakers that range in size from as small as his pinky finger to large enough to encompass a person's entire chest. These speakers are normally covered by metal "eyelids” when not in use, but they do not necessarily have to be opened or closed all at the same time in order to function. They can be incorporated onto buildings, vehicles, even robots or other synthetic beings.

Abilities:
    The DISS is capable of supersonic attacks, producing huge bursts of sound up to 180 decibels (or a slightly longer-held burst of sound), which can cause severe hearing damage by way of eardrum rupture (between 150 and 180 decibels) on anyone standing nearby (For reference, click here!). From 80 to 150 decibels, it can cause some discomfort in the ears of his opponents, and below that, there's very little effect outside of having a dance party heard quite far away. Also regarding these supersonic attacks, depending on their frequency, they can have a different range of effect. If a supersonic attack is blasted at a low frequency that everyone can hear, it will have the most range, energy, and impact, able to fill up almost a whole stadium. But at a very high frequency that still can affect people's hearing but not be heard itself, the range drastically decreases to just a radius of 3 feet.
    The other ability involves the manipulation of sound in such a way that it can cause certain objects to levitate or move. One can use this ability to keep small, delicate pieces like electronic bits or small metal objects afloat while working on an engineering project (Based on this concept!). If applied to footgear in a certain way, it can act to aid the sole in "impact protection” to soften one's landing with each step or jump.

Conditional Abilities (Optional):

Limitations: There are ways to counter the DISS's supersonic attacks, most obviously covering one's ears to reduce damage or turning off auditory inputs to negate them altogether (if you're a robot or android or any sapient being that has the capacity to do that). Furthermore, the DISS can only emit sound as long as up to about 3 IC turns before overheating, requiring a cooldown during 2 turns. The DISS can also be deactivated by an EMP.

Conditional Limitations (Optional): The DISS is useless in places with no medium in the area to travel through, including locations such as outer space, moons with no air, etc.

How does it work: Fairly simply, they are quite powerful, versatile speakers that can have varying properties and components depending on how they are set up and what they are hooked up to.

Flavor text: The DISS was inadvertently developed by a human engineer during the 30th century who simply wanted to gift his daughter with the best speaker system ever. It is said that researchers looked into the possibility of making a DISS with lethal capacities, but were unable to reach the required decibel level. Only later did they discover some more practical uses for it as an effective shelf for small electronic bits and bobs and some rather impressive radar and sonar capacities. Most saw the weaponized forms of DISS as overshadowed by other forms of weaponry which were less easily countered and too risky for bystanders.

Referenced Technologies (Optional):

Attainability: [Open]

Tags: [Military]

Category: Robotics/Other (Sonic Weaponry?)

Resources for DISS:
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175996-can-a-loud-enough-sound-kill-you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpNbyfxxkWE

2. Skid

Skid God Incarnate Staff Member Community Monitor Diamond Donator

Hey @EPS-Reborn I'm finally looking at this again.

After some discussion and consideration, I'm going to be giving this it's initial fail. Like last time there's a few reasons for this, and I'm going to go over them quickly.
    - While you did lower is capabilities from last time, 180 dB is still insanely loud. How loud, you ask? Multiple times louder than a jet engine. Speakers can only do so much, and the fact that these are so compact certainly doesn't help their capabilities. 
    - Another issue is whit the second ability. Last time I graded DISS, I said no to (and you even confirmed with me) being able softening physical blows, and that's really just what "impact protection" would be doing. Even if If it were possible, the difference it would make would probably be more negligible. 
    - This is more minor than the other two, but like I said last time the levitation can only be done in the very specific conditions demonstrated in the video. You haven't stated this anywhere in the application.

Unrelated to the fail, you can achieve a similar levitation effect with ZPEM, which you can read up on in the technology codex. It isn't nearly as limited as what you would have if you used sound to do it, and probably is a better choice in general.

3. Khaos

Khaos Purple Man Impervium Donator

After reviewing the application and Skid's grade, I will be seconding this fail and moving this thread.