Materials Vorpal Steel

Discussion in 'Approved' started by schizothotep, Apr 19, 2020.

1. schizothotep

schizothotep Ozymandias's very own Diamond Donator

Name: Vorpal Steel

Description: An aegisalt-durasteel alloy of an iridescent shine, which coloration ranges from light-green to dark-blue, depending from which angle you look at it.

True properties of vorpal steel are revealed when an appropriately thin sheet of the metal is connected to a source of power, causing electricity to flow through the entire length of the sheet; the already elastic sheet becomes even more loose and easy to manipulate, often acquiring ribbon-like properties in terms of movement and flexibility. When the source of power is turned off, or its connection to the blade is otherwise severed, the sheet will spring back into its previous shape, one that it was given before the activation of its properties.

When connected to a power source, the alloy shines with a faint, cold, green glow that almost always goes unnoticed unless it’s completely dark.

Creation of any appliances made out of vorpal steel is a rather difficult task- coming from the fact that the alloy itself is difficult to create in the first place, requiring very specific timing and temperature control to smelt that most inexperienced smiths and lower-quality forges are unable to properly achieve.

Unlike some other, more difficult alloys to create, vorpal steel-made weaponry is relatively less difficult to maintain and keep in sound shape.

It’s also worth mentioning that vorpal steel swords and other weaponry retain their sharp cutting edge even when activated, allowing them to be a deadly weapon in both states of activation.

[​IMG]
    A pictogram taken out of a Glitch weaponsmithing encyclopedia, representing a sword which blade was made out of vorpal steel, in both inactive (left) and active (right) states.

Abilities:
    • Can turn from a flat sheet of metal into a ribbon-like, flexible piece of metal that moves at the same ease as its cloth counterpant;

• Springs back into its previous shape when powered off;

• Easy to transport, as they can be rolled into a cartridge that takes less space than an entire, big space, so long they’re powered up.
    Conditional Abilities (Optional):
    • Can prove to be a much-required element of surprise when used as a weapon, especially when your opponent doesn’t know its properties;
    • It can function as a simple glowstick when in a dark enviroment and the sheet is properly activated.
    Limitations:
    • Unless the power source is properly shielded from EMPs, they will disable the properties of the vorpal steel, locking them into their inactive state until properly powered up again;

• Amount of time that the vorpal steel may exhibit its properties depends on the size and effectiveness of the power source, with the smaller batteries or such lasting for less amount of time;

• The alloy itself is quite difficult to make and produce on mass scale, requiring heavy-duty forges and furnaces.
    Conditional Limitations (Optional):
    • You can accidentally hurt yourself on the shape edges when it springs back into shape. Have you ever played with a measuring tape?

• Slightly less durable when activated, making it easier to damage

How does it work:
    When the alloy is properly powered up (i.e. connected to a small electricity generator), the aegisalt, present across the entirety of the metal equally distributes the oncoming energy throughout its entire surface. When activated, the aegisalt molecules rapidly energize, which in turn increases their polarization- something that the durasteel particles are incapable of achieving, because of aegisalt intaking all of the energy themselves. The difference in polarisations is enough for the molecules of the entire sheet to stray away from one another, increasing the amount of empty space between them.

This in turn leads to the sheet to display the properties that are often encountered in higher temperatures, where the metal is much more malleable and flexible, although at temperatures which allow for safe contact with the metal without the risk of getting burned or hurt in the process.

When the power is cut off, the molecules return to their previous, inactive state, now returning to their previous positions due to the polarisation being equalized once again. This in turn hardens the sheet once again, making it lose its flexible properties.

Flavor text: Many Glitch hiveminds have long learned how to properly utilize and harness the properties of vorpal steel in ways that might seem the most efficient- be it in forms of entertainment such as floppy swords in plays, proper weapons for the most skilled of warriors and knights, or even the more extravagant uses such as metallic dresses that flow freely in one second, only to become as hard as plate the very next, or architectural wonders of freely moving walls and decorations.

Attainability: [Open]
    While vorpal steel is not some sort of a godly, incredibly rare material, it is also not that common because of the difficulties that come with its creation. Your character may acquire it with relative ease, but don’t expect it to be dirt-cheap or available from your local metallurgist in big quantities.

Tags: [Industrial]

Category: Materials

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. 9K

9K Galactic Officer Staff Member Administrator

Hi. I'm going to start the grading process on this app today.

Could you please describe a few more of its properties with the format down below:

If you need references for how to fill this out, simply refer to the material lore page. For an idea of what I'm looking for in this personally, it would be an intermediate between Durasteel and Aegisalt given its properties, but leaning far more toward Aegisalt especially since you're saying it's easy to maintain, which makes sense for a softer material. I'm leaving electrical conductivity out since it's obvious it would have some and because it's a pain to measure.

Also, what is its melting point?

3. schizothotep

hi yes it is pankruk i am back and i have lore :)

The format has been added! You don't have to thank me.

And regarding your questions, I'm going to answer them one by one, after another. First of all, I was aiming more at the side of durasteel being the more present material than aegisalt; me saying that it was easy mantain was after comparing it to other "unusual" alloys. It's easier to maintain than, let's say, frosten or solus based objects, without a need of a grandmaster smith or incredible tools, but it's not the easiest task to perform either.

The melting point of the alloy is around 1800* degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. schizothotep

Slight adjustments have been made.
    Changed the melting point, changed the hardness, and added a new funky conditional ability >:)

5. 9K

Before I give this its first pass, how is the bending controlled? Is it all done by hand, or is there some augment needed in order to signal for it to flex?

6. schizothotep

It's floppy like, well, a ribbon. All the movements are controlled by the movements of arm and hand or other things used to hold it- although a possibility of another device that is specifically used to manipulate the steel exists.

EDIT: Like, you know. You can attach it to some folding metal arm and it will fold with it.

7. 9K

Okay. First pass.

schizothotep likes this.
  8. Skid

Skid God Incarnate Staff Member Community Monitor Diamond Donator

"Unless the power source is properly shielded from EMPs, they will disable the properties of the vorpal steel, locking them into one state until repaired."

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, do you mean that if it's in a ribbon-like state while EMP'ed it will remain so until repaired?

9. schizothotep

Nooope. It returns to its solid state when the power source is disconnected, until the power is returned to the sheet.

10. Skid

Can you edit that so it's more clear? Otherwise, I've no issues.

11. schizothotep

12. Skid

Passed.

schizothotep likes this.