Sci-fi in Sci-fi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Teldrassil, May 5, 2020.

1. Teldrassil

Teldrassil Galactic Officer

What would science fiction look like in GC, which has a lot of stuff from our science fiction. Would it focus on Hyperspace? The Undercrypt? The Ruin? Something else entirely?

2. zecon125

zecon125 Lizzer Staff Member Moderator Bronze Donator

It'd be as diverse as our own, really. You could feasible have a range of stories delving into as many scifi concepts as you want, so long as they don't already exist in the setting. It's hard to think of scifi that far out, though.

3. Teldrassil

Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder what the other genres look like, especially how they differ from race to race.

4. schizothotep

schizothotep Ozymandias's very own Diamond Donator

in 3287, characters of GC are playing Battlemace 40 million. A grim-dark tale of many alien species fighting each other for control over galaxy and the universe as we know it. there are no happy endings in it.

5. Teldrassil

I love it. Can you imagine all the factions in it?

“Haven absolutely nuked the the Shifters in that tournament the other day”
    “Yeah, heard the Corrav set’s getting a nerf because of it.

6. schizothotep

I don't think people in-universe take actual disasters and genocides as lightly as we do from OOC perspective lol

7. Teldrassil

It truly was a tragedy. Many shifters were lost that day.

8. Yz2

Yz2 Galactic Enforcer Staff Member Community Monitor Gold Donator

Plenty of people do. IRL, we already have people taking disasters lightly and memeing about them a short while later. It's a big Galaxy, so a crisis that affected Haven would hardly have any physical impact on someone living in some far off colony, or in civspace.

Would probably piss off Havenites, since it's like making fun of 9/11 two years after it happens.

Some Sci-fi concepts are beyond the tech level of GC. Things like Dyson spheres haven't been made by any organisation yet, I believe, so fiction would probably invent even more advanced devices to drive narratives forward.

Pinkbat5 likes this.
  9. schizothotep

oh no of course we do; but i don't think any major companies are capitilizing on their ideas, and i don't think they extend beyond anything other than niche groups, the only exception i can think of is cards against humanity, but they are a cult classic at this point