Prosthetics Near-field Electro-reception Device

Discussion in 'Approved' started by Ryanatorx, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Ryanatorx

Ryanatorx Galactic Officer Community Monitor Gold Donator

Name:
    Near-field Electro-reception Device (NED)

AKA: Synthemnant Eye

Description: NED tend to come in two varieties: mobile and stationary. Stationary equipment appears to be a metal tube attached to a computer, with a series of lenses included at one end. The mobile variant are most commonly a type of cybernetic eye, taking most of the space that could be used for other modifications (such as putting a laser gun in your face).

Abilities:

-From close range (~10 feet), allows the detection and visualization of electromagnetic fields that would otherwise evade detection (such as the movement of electrons in a wire, nervous systems, or neural activity)

-From further ranges (10+ feet), can detect strong EM fields, such as EMP grenades and lightning strikes

-Functionally very similar to Remnant third eye (hence the name 'Synthemnant Eye')

Conditional Abilities (Optional):

-EMP grenades look a lot like flashbangs, even from outside of the range where they damage the device

-Can detect signals through non-shielded barriers (though with less distance. For instance, dry-wall could muffle a signal to only be visible from 8 feet, ect)

-Non-implant variants can come EMP shielded when they're off, but the shielding cannot function at the same time as the device.

Limitations:

-Detection falls off inverse squared with distance. Beyond ten feet, things like neural activity will be lost to background noise

-When active, normal vision is heavily restricted. General outlines and a sense of depth perception remain, but color and detail are traded off for the visualization of EM fields.

-On-off time is a few seconds (1 combat round, should that ever be relevant)

Conditional Limitations (Optional):

-In areas with high electromagnetic activity, the background noise can completely block out any signals that might otherwise be detected, leaving the device useless

-Cannot function properly if EMP shielded, given how it detects. This means a cybernetic eye is going to be completely bricked, or at least in need of serious and significant repairs

-Cannot pick up shielded signals (such as in devices with aegisalt or lead coatings)

-EMP grenades look a lot like flashbangs, even from outside of the range where they damage the device

How does it work:

Utilizing an array of carefully tuned near-field scanners to isolate and amplify incoming signals, NED are able to detect and convert to a visual 3-D chart and overlay it on top of normal visual data. However, because the brain can only handle so much visual input data at a time and the visualization needs to be distinct, normal perception is swapped out during use to allow for traditional color scaling of visualized fields.

Flavor text:

“Remind me why you need to put it in my eyes? Can’t we just record this on a computer, or I can carry the damn thing with me, or put it in goggles?”

“Because I didn’t make goggles, I made eyes. The goggles would be the size of your head, out in front of you. This is the only way it can work. Now shut up and get on the bench.”

-Dr. Bronzebust, speaking to the first hylotl to receive NED.

NED development began and ended with a small hylo-glitch defense contracting firm attempting to win out a contract with the hylotl military. Unfortunately, due to the limited range of the device, military applications were considered too niche, and the device soon entered the open market. Contrary to Dr. Bronzebust’s initial reasoning for mobile units needing to be in eyes, non-cybernetic variants were far more popular among academics and scientists who actually used it. Additionally, the expensive manufacturing of the eyes can be avoided by simply spreading out the components to a scale that doesn’t require femtometer precision, even if it makes something that looks a lot clunkier. There’s no loss in precision for using a larger device, after all- it’s the same measurement.

Even so, select few have found utility for NED implants in pen-testing, electrical engineering, and a number of other professions.

Generally, a non-implant NED is roughly the size of a larger vacuum tube, and requires a computer to be carried with it. They cost anywhere from 3,000 to 10,000 PX (more expensive models come with non-use shielding). The implant, on the other hand, is able to be compressed into an eye and installed directly into neural hardware. The cost of manufacturing and surgery place it around 14,000 PX.

The technology has been independently created by a number of individuals and companies, using the same principles.

Attainability: Open

Tags: [Civilian]

Category: Prosthetics

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    AD INFINITUM, ThatCabbage and crumchy like this.
  2. 9K

9K Galactic Officer Staff Member Administrator

Hi. I just have one concern.

I'd like you to choose one or the other between the two here; it is either bricked or out for 3 turns but not potentially both. Personally, I would prefer it be bricked.

3. Ryanatorx

Ryanatorx Galactic Officer Community Monitor Gold Donator

It's funnier if this implant means EMPs blind you, why not

Also added a variant of the non-implant that come shielded when not in use. Part of why they're bigger

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  4. 9K

9K Galactic Officer Staff Member Administrator

First pass.

5. Skid

Skid God Incarnate Staff Member Community Monitor Diamond Donator

Second pass.