el staff application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by Dorfus, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Dorfus

Dorfus Galactic Commoner

Forum name: Dorfus

Country/Timezone: GMT+1

Why do you want to be Staff?: I've stuck around GC for a relatively long while now, certainly not as much as most veterans, but I'd say it's been long enough for me to start trying to return the favor to the community for everything that it's given me. Practically almost all the RP I've done from 2016 up until now has been in some way related to GC. Not to mention, it's because of it that I've actually gotten into digital art, something I appreciate immensely. Essentially; I want to help the staff team and in turn become closer with them and the community itself!

What skills can you bring to the staff team?: I'm trilingual (spanish, catalan, english), something that allows me to handle those who can't understand english. I can also understand portuguese, italian and french, although I can only really write a little bit of the latter. I have an european schedule, meaning I can monitor stuff while the NA side of the staff team is asleep - not to mention, I've got plenty of experience when it comes to moderating servers.

What area(s) would you be most interested in helping assist with (if you have more than one preference, list in order of highest preference to lowest)?": Grading, enforcement, lore creation, event organization if required

Have you had prior experience moderating/staffing an online community?: yes :)

If so, where? What were your responsibilities?: Currently I'm the owner of a 100-man wide discord RP server (I can provide proof if necessary), I was head admin in a 400-man wide server back in 2016 or so, and I've had a bunch of loremaster positions in many other servers. I've also been doing discord RP as a whole since it came out so there's that, I suppose!

As staff, it is crucial to be visible to the public; on the Forums, through the Discord, and on the Server. Though it is not mandatory to be on these three all the time, do you agree to be as active as possible through these means?: I used to be a lurker back before I had my hiatus in 2017 or something, however, GC has quickly become one of my main hang out places, so Yes! I'd say I'm very active on the discord - not so much the forums or the server itself, but I'm definitely aiming to fix the latter. My schedule is obviously an issue with getting on server, since when I'm awake the server's empty, though I can definitely try getting on during the weekends.

For better interaction with our users on the Galaxy Citizen Discord server and to take full part in any voice meetings we may have in the Staff Discord, it is recommended that you use a good microphone. Do you possess a microphone (If you do not have a microphone, it will NOT affect your chances for being on Staff)?: yes! it's VERY old but the lil guy still works wonders, somehow

What do you like about this community?: I admire how much it's improved over anything else. I remember long ago how I used to get a headache thanks to some of the people that lurked the server. It was, compared to now, full of toxicity and bias, something that didn't allow for much creativity in regards to making a character.

Now, it's a much friendlier place, with very accepting people and a very reasonable staff team. Compared to before, there's pretty much almost no drama, or at least none that I can see. As someone who used to be toxic just to fit in, I really feel like I've been given a chance to turn a new leaf.

Some staff members are also great people in my opinion, like 9K, who guided me through a psionics app and helped me redo it, something that took five whole hours, or Nomad, who made the effort of building an on-server event just for me and my friends... or the reefman, who has very generously helped me with this app, and has just been, in general, an amazing person, friend, and someone who I'm glad I got to meet back when I did.

It may not look like much, but to me, those acts I mentioned just now really mean a lot. I want someone to feel the same way about me one day, and I think I can do that by joining staff.

What areas would you like to receive help in should you become staff?: Grading, mostly. While I don't think my views on balance are exactly skewed, there might be a certain way staff balance things that I'm not aware of. I think I'll be able to fall in line pretty easily as soon as I can learn that!

What are your weaknesses?: I have a very explosive personality. This leads to me sometimes getting irritated at people and just acting like a cunt in general, something I apologize for in case it's ever ended up with me offending someone. It's also hard to convey emotions through text, which can, a lot of the time, end up giving people the wrong impression. Sometimes, I just have a bad day and stuff gets me angry pretty quickly - that happens, too. I think I've been successfully suppressing this attitude of mine, and I'm confident I can fully get rid of it if I'm given this chance.

Galaxy Citizen Character name(s): Naru, Akuma, Yurei, 'Mantis', Yinue, Valadrien, probably a bunch I forgot from back in ye olden days

MaskedHero, ThatCabbage and Exon like this.
  2. Exon

Exon Galactic Enforcer

+1
    Can confirm, he does run an RP server. I have confidence he'll be able to work through the mentioned anger issues, if he puts in the effort.
    I can also say the man could use the extra kinship with staff. There's a... divide, there, that I've seen, which needs fixed one way or another.

3. Dorfus

Dorfus Galactic Commoner

this is untrue, I've had my run ins with staff in the past but I definitely do not feel that way anymore about them. if I really disliked them I wouldn't be trying to join and help them

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    ThatCabbage likes this.
  4. Exon

Exon Galactic Enforcer

Let me elaborate, since this has apparently been taken in a way I didn't intend.

I'm not saying you dislike staff, or vice versa. I'm saying that, left over from that period, when run-ins were common, there is a divide. As someone from the outside looking in, it feels like you're... separate, from staff, in a way most community members aren't. Cabbage is another good example; someone who had run-ins with staff in the past, whose relationship with staff has suffered for it even to this day. I feel like this is a problem that can be fixed, or the process of fixing it can be started, by you being added to the staff team; an act which I also feel would be beneficial to the server as a whole.

5. ThatCabbage

ThatCabbage Galactic Citizen Impervium Donator

Bro, I already apologized to pretty much every staffmember and am trying to be more mindful of them as people as well as figures of authority in the community. He doesn't need to be on the staff team to fix a problem he doesn't have, neither do I need to be on it to just talk to people and try to get both sides of stories before I go monkey.
    He needs to be on the staff team because they need fresh blood and more manpower so that staff in a position of high stress don't do an oopsie like one did dealing with my dumbass. At most the dude doesn't really talk to them, he's not mini-me, don't defame my boy Dorfus by equating him to my dumbass in any capacity.

Dorfus likes this.
  6. ThatCabbage

ThatCabbage Galactic Citizen Impervium Donator

Also vouching for Dorfus, he has a good heart and means well.

Dorfus likes this.